lady with an acute dairy allergy died after consuming a Pret a Manger wrap labelled as vegan regardless of containing traces of milk, a coroner has dominated.
Celia Marsh, 42, died after consuming the tremendous veg rainbow flatbread whereas procuring together with her household in Tub in 2017.
The coconut yoghurt dressing had been cross-contaminated with milk protein throughout manufacture, the coroner Maria Voisin discovered at an inquest in Bristol on Thursday.
Mrs Marsh, a dental nurse, had been on a procuring journey together with her household on 27 December when she ate the Pret wrap.
She was declared lifeless lower than two hours later, having collapsed on the street and regardless of the efforts of passers-by and paramedics to avoid wasting her.
Ms Voison mentioned Mrs Marsh had suffered an anaphylactic shock after consuming the wrap.
The coroner mentioned: “A product which is marked dairy free ought to be, free from dairy.
“Celia Marsh was not conscious the wrap contained milk protein.”
“The protein was in an ingredient known as Coyo that contained an additional ingredient known as HG1.
“The contamination arose as a result of the ingredient HG1 was cross-contaminated throughout manufacture.”
Her husband Andy known as for tighter controls mentioned: “He mentioned any producer who makes one thing labelled ‘free from’ ought to “take the duty for the testing to verify it’s precisely that”.
He added: Celia meant the world to us. She may brighten up your worst days with only one smile.
“She would have a look at you together with her blue eyes and also you simply felt higher. She was an amazing mum.
“Individuals may inform we have been in love by simply sitting in the identical room as us and us not saying a phrase to one another.”
He mentioned any producer who makes one thing labelled ‘free from’ ought to “take the duty for the testing to verify it’s precisely that”.
The coconut yoghurt used as dressing got here from Australian model CoYo, and was licensed for manufacture within the UK to British agency Planet Coconut, the inquest heard.
The CEO of Pret a Manger, Pano Christou, mentioned the corporate “totally supported” the coroner’s findings.
“As a father and husband, I can solely think about how distressing this has been for Celia’s youngsters and household.
“Our deepest sympathies stay with everybody who knew and cherished Celia,” he mentioned.
“Because the Coroner made clear, Planet Coconut had data which ought to have alerted them that their Coyo yoghurt might have contained milk and this data was not handed on to Pret.
“It goes with out saying that if Pret had ever recognized that the Coyo yoghurt might have contained milk, we’d have by no means used the ingredient.”