he first image of the brand new ledger stone put in on the Queen’s last resting place in Windsor has been launched by Buckingham Palace.
The Queen’s identify has been inscribed alongside her mom’s, father’s and husband’s on the stone within the King George VI Memorial Chapel in St George’s Chapel, Windsor Citadel, the place the monarch was buried.
The black stone slab, which is new, has been set into the ground after changing the outdated stone that had the names George VI and Elizabeth inscribed in gold lettering.
The contemporary stone now accommodates, in listing kind, “George VI 1895-1952” and “Elizabeth 1900-2002” adopted by a steel Garter Star, after which “Elizabeth II 1926-2022” and “Philip 1921-2021”.
All 4 royals had been members of the Order of the Garter, which has St George’s Chapel as its religious house.
The stone is product of hand-carved Belgian black marble with brass letter inlays, to match the earlier ledger stone.
The image exhibits the stone additionally surrounded by floral tributes and wreaths.
It comes forward of the Queen’s burial web site opening to guests subsequent week as Windsor Citadel reopens to the general public.
Individuals will pay their respects at St George’s Chapel from September 29, simply over every week after the late monarch’s funeral.
The Queen was laid to relaxation along with the Duke of Edinburgh on Monday night in a non-public service attended by the King and the royal household, which adopted her state funeral at Westminster Abbey and committal service in Windsor.
When Philip died 17 months in the past, his coffin was interred within the Royal Vault of St George’s, able to be moved to the memorial chapel – a pale stone annexe added on to the north aspect of the constructing behind the North Quire Aisle in 1969 – when the Queen died.
The Queen’s sister Princess Margaret, who died in 2002, was cremated and her ashes had been initially positioned within the Royal Vault, earlier than being moved to the George VI memorial chapel together with her mother and father’ coffins when the Queen Mom died weeks later.
The King George VI Memorial Chapel, which sits inside the partitions of St George’s Chapel, was commissioned by the Queen in 1962 as a burial place for her father King George VI – designed by George Tempo and completed in 1969.
The chapel will reopen to guests subsequent week on all days the fortress is open to the general public, excluding Sundays when it is just open for worshippers.
Entry to the fortress is £28.50 for adults on Saturdays and £26.50 on different days, in accordance with the web site.
The royal household is constant its interval of mourning for the Queen, to be noticed till seven days after the funeral.