The incident is the primary recorded loss of life from a field jellyfish sting in Australia in 15 years.
The 17-year-old boy, who has not been named, was stung at Patterson Level, close to Bamaga, on February 22.
He was handled on the scene earlier than he was flown to Townsville hospital however his life assist was switched off in hospital on Monday.
The Australian field jellyfish, also called a Chironex fleckeri, is among the many world’s most venomous creatures.
Individuals injected with its poison can also expertise paralysis or cardiac arrest, in response to the Nationwide Ocean service.
Authorities stated the boy had been swimming close to the city of Bamaga in Cape York, on Australia’s northern tip, when he was stung.
Talking public broadcaster ABC, Marine biologist Lisa-Ann Gershwin, stated: “Sadly, that (earlier) fatality additionally occurred in Bamaga.
“The essentially necessary a part of that is about who lives and who dies [and] overwhelmingly it’s individuals in distant communities who die,” she added.
“It’s not a physiological distinction, but it surely’s that training across the risks of stingers that’s totally different.”