COVID-19 is a brand new illness and we’re nonetheless studying the way it spreads, the severity of sickness it causes, and to what extent it could unfold in the US.
Incapacity alone is probably not associated to increased threat for getting COVID-19 or having extreme sickness. Most individuals with disabilities should not inherently at increased threat for changing into contaminated with or having extreme sickness from COVID-19. Nonetheless, some folks with disabilities could be at a better threat of an infection or extreme sickness due to their underlying medical situations. All folks appear to be at increased threat of extreme sickness from COVID-19 if they’ve critical underlying persistent medical situations like persistent lung illness, a critical coronary heart situation, or a weakened immune system. Adults with disabilities are thrice extra doubtless than adults with out disabilities to have coronary heart illness, stroke, diabetes, or most cancers than adults with out disabilities.
You must discuss together with your healthcare supplier you probably have a query about your well being or how your well being situation is being managed.
Incapacity teams and threat
If in case you have one of many incapacity sorts listed under, you could be at elevated threat of changing into contaminated or having unrecognized sickness. You must focus on your threat of sickness together with your healthcare supplier.
- Individuals who have restricted mobility or who can not keep away from coming into shut contact with others who could also be contaminated, comparable to direct assist suppliers and members of the family
- Individuals who have hassle understanding data or training preventive measures, comparable to hand washing and social distancing
- Individuals who might not be capable to talk signs of sickness
Defend your self
For those who or somebody you take care of are at increased threat of getting very sick from COVID-19, take steps to stop getting sick. Along with training on a regular basis preventive actions, folks with disabilities who’ve direct assist suppliers may also help shield themselves from respiratory sickness within the following methods:
- Ask your direct assist supplier if they’re experiencing any signs of COVID-19 or if they’ve been in touch with somebody who has COVID-19
- Inform your direct service supplier to
- Wash their palms after they enter your private home and earlier than and after touching you (e.g., dressing, bathing/showering, transferring, toileting, feeding), dealing with tissues, or when altering linens or doing laundry. Be taught extra about correct handwashing.
- Clear and disinfect regularly touched objects and surfaces (e.g., counters, tabletops, doorknobs, lavatory fixtures, bogs, telephones, keyboards, tablets, bedside tables), and tools comparable to wheelchairs, scooters, walkers, canes, oxygen tanks and tubing, communication boards and different assistive gadgets. Seek advice from CDC’s Normal Suggestions for Routine Cleansing and Disinfections of Households.
There are some further issues folks with disabilities can do to arrange through the COVID-19 outbreak:
- Plan what you’ll do in case you or your direct assist supplier will get sick. Create a contact record of household, mates, neighbors and native service businesses that may present assist in case you or your direct assist supplier turns into ailing or unavailable.
- Plan a minimum of two methods of speaking from residence and work that can be utilized quickly in an emergency (e.g., landline cellphone, cellphone, text-messaging, e mail). Write down this data and preserve it with you.
- Have sufficient home items and groceries in order that you’ll be comfy staying residence for a number of weeks, a minimum of a 30-day provide of over-the-counter and prescription medicines and any medical tools or provides that you just would possibly want. Some well being plans permit for a 90-day refill on prescription medicines. Take into account discussing this feature together with your healthcare supplier. Make a photocopy of prescriptions, as this may occasionally assist in acquiring medicines in an emergency scenario.
- Coronavirus illness is a respiratory sickness that may unfold from individual to individual. The virus is believed to unfold primarily between people who find themselves in shut contact with each other (inside about 6 ft) by respiratory droplets produced when an contaminated individual coughs or sneezes. It is usually potential that an individual can get COVID-19 by touching a floor or object that has the virus on it after which touching their very own mouth, nostril, or eyes. For extra data go to CDC’s Reality Sheet- What you want to learn about coronavirus illness 2019 (COVID-19)pdf icon.
- Threat of an infection with COVID-19 is increased for people who find themselves in shut contact with somebody identified to have COVID-19, comparable to healthcare staff, direct assist suppliers, and family members. Different folks at increased threat for an infection are those that dwell or have just lately been in an space with ongoing unfold of COVID-19.
Prevention and therapy
There’s at the moment no vaccine to guard towards COVID-19. The easiest way to stop an infection is to take on a regular basis preventive actions, like avoiding shut contact with people who find themselves sick and washing your palms typically.
There is no such thing as a particular antiviral therapy for COVID-19. Folks with COVID-19 can search medical care to assist relieve signs.