What it’s essential know
Whereas fewer youngsters have been sick with COVID-19 in comparison with adults, youngsters might be contaminated with the virus that causes COVID-19, can get sick from COVID-19, and may unfold the virus that causes COVID-19 to others. Youngsters, like adults, who’ve COVID-19 however haven’t any signs (“asymptomatic”) can nonetheless unfold the virus to others.
Most kids with COVID-19 have delicate signs or haven’t any signs in any respect. Nevertheless, some youngsters can get severely ailing from COVID-19. They could require hospitalization, intensive care, or a ventilator to assist them breathe. In uncommon circumstances, they could die.
CDC and companions are investigating a uncommon however severe medical situation related to COVID-19 in youngsters known as Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Youngsters (MIS-C). We don’t but know what causes MIS-C and who’s at elevated threat for creating it. Be taught extra about MIS-C.
Infants underneath 1 yr previous could be extra prone to have extreme sickness from COVID-19. Different youngsters, no matter age, with the next underlying medical situations may additionally be at elevated threat of extreme sickness in comparison with different youngsters:
- Bronchial asthma or continual lung illness
- Genetic, neurologic, or metabolic situations
- Coronary heart illness since delivery
- Immunosuppression (weakened immune system on account of sure medical situations or being on drugs that weaken the immune system)
- Medical complexity (youngsters with a number of continual situations that have an effect on many components of the physique who are sometimes depending on expertise and different important helps for day by day life)
- Weight problems
This record doesn’t embrace each underlying situation which may improve the danger for extreme sickness in youngsters. As extra data turns into obtainable, CDC will proceed to replace and share details about threat for extreme sickness amongst youngsters.
In case your little one has an underlying situation, make sure that to debate along with your little one’s healthcare supplier about your little one’s particular threat of extreme sickness from COVID-19.
The signs of COVID-19 are comparable in adults and youngsters and may appear to be different frequent diseases, like colds, strep throat, or allergic reactions. The commonest signs of COVID-19 in youngsters are fever and cough, however youngsters could have any of those indicators or signs of COVID-19:
- Fever or chills
- Nasal congestion or runny nostril
- New lack of style or scent
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath or issue respiration
- Nausea or vomiting
- Muscle or physique aches
- Poor urge for food or poor feeding, particularly in infants underneath 1 yr previous
What you are able to do
Pay specific consideration to:
- Fever (temperature 100.4 °F or larger)
- Sore throat
- New uncontrolled cough that causes issue respiration (for a kid with continual allergic/asthmatic cough, see if there’s a change from their normal cough)
- Diarrhea, vomiting, or stomachache
- New onset of extreme headache, particularly with a fever
In case your little one otherwise you have been round somebody who has COVID-19, somebody from the well being division could contact you for contact tracing. Converse with them and observe their recommendation.
In case you are sick with COVID-19, you may take precautions to assist forestall spreading the virus to your little one and others.
In case your little one has signs and could have been uncovered to the virus that causes COVID-19 or has been in an space the place the virus is spreading,
- Hold your little one house
- Name your little one’s healthcare supplier to debate whether or not your little one must be evaluated or examined for COVID-19. When you suspect that your little one or somebody they know has COVID-19 or has come into shut contact with somebody who has COVID-19, go to Coronavirus self-checker. This on-line device will aid you determine when to hunt testing or medical care in your little one.
- Defend your self from COVID-19 whereas caring in your little one
- Notify your little one’s college that your little one is sick. Additionally inform the varsity in case your little one has had a COVID-19 take a look at and what the result’s, if obtainable.
- Assessment your little one’s college (or different childcare facility) insurance policies associated to when a baby who has been sick can return
- Deliver your little one again to high school or different in-person actions solely after they’ll safely be round others
In case your little one is sick however a healthcare supplier tells you that your little one doesn’t have COVID-19, your little one should still want to remain house for a while. Earlier than bringing your little one again to high school or different in-person actions, talk about your little one’s sickness with their healthcare supplier and evaluation your little one’s college (or different childcare facility) insurance policies associated to when a baby who has been sick can return.
Don’t delay looking for emergency care in your little one since you are apprehensive concerning the unfold of COVID-19. Emergency departments have an infection prevention plans to guard you and your little one from getting sick with COVID-19 in case your little one wants emergency care.
In case your little one is exhibiting any of those emergency warning indicators, search emergency medical care instantly.
- Bother respiration
- Ache or stress within the chest that doesn’t go away
- New confusion
- Can’t get up or keep awake when not drained
- Bluish lips or face
This record doesn’t embrace all doable signs.
Name your little one’s healthcare supplier for another signs which might be extreme or regarding to you.