In Victoria, Australia, well being minister Martin Foley has reported six new instances – all in lodge quarantine, together with one flight crew member.
He’s welcomed the 2 days of zero instances in Brisbane, however Victoria will look ahead to the ultimate report tomorrow in addition to the prime minister’s announcement earlier than altering any coverage.
96 travellers got permits to enter isolation at house in Victoria yesterday. They got here by way of Melbourne airport “in breach” of Queensland’s restrictions, however they’ve been assisted to go house and isolate anyway, he mentioned.
About 900 permits have been authorised for Victorians making an attempt to get house from NSW.
“This isn’t over till the Australian inhabitants is vaccinated,” he mentioned.
(You may compensate for earlier and detailed Australian updates in our earlier weblog right here.)
Up to date
Cuba will run section three trials of its vaccine candidate, Sovereign 02, in Iran, after institutes within the two international locations signed an settlement in Havana.
Cuba’s state-run Finlay Vaccine Institute introduced on Twitter the medical trial would run in Iran to “transfer ahead sooner in immunisation towards Covid-19 in each international locations”.
The Sovereign 02 is the nation’s most superior coronavirus vaccine candidate, displaying “an early immune response [at 14 days],” institute director Vicente Verez mentioned final month.
It has been troublesome to do section 3 medical testing in Cuba as a result of its outbreak has not been as severe as these in lots of bigger international locations, he mentioned.
The Islamic republic has reported greater than 1.2m instances of the virus, together with greater than 56,000 deaths.
It comes after Iran’s supreme chief, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, banned the importation of US and British-produced vaccines saying they have been “utterly untrustworthy”.
“It’s not unlikely they’d wish to contaminate different nations,” he mentioned in a tweet.
Cuba has reported about 14,000 instances amongst its inhabitants of 11.2m, and 148 individuals have died. Whereas its case numbers are decrease than different international locations within the area, it’s seeing a rise after opening its borders. The Cuban authorities intents to vaccinate the entire inhabitants within the first half of this yr.
Up to date
On Saturday Pope Francis and Britain’s Queen Elizabeth grew to become the most recent high-profile figures to hitch the worldwide vaccination marketing campaign towards the coronavirus, because the UK reported it had surpassed greater than 3m instances because the pandemic started greater than a yr in the past.
Francis urged individuals to get the vaccination, calling opposition to the jab “suicidal denial” and saying he would get inoculated subsequent week when the Vatican would start its marketing campaign.
“There’s a suicidal denial which I can’t clarify, however in the present day now we have to get vaccinated,” he mentioned in an interview with Canale 5 on account of be broadcast in full on Sunday.
The Queen and her husband, Prince Philip, have been vaccinated on Saturday, Buckingham Palace mentioned, in a uncommon public touch upon the non-public well being issues of the long-serving monarch.
A supply informed the home Press Affiliation information company that the Queen, 94, and Philip, 99, got the injections by a royal family physician at Windsor Citadel.
Up to date
Whats up, and welcome to our persevering with protection of the pandemic. Because it’s the weekend we’re operating simply certainly one of our coronavirus blogs, so I’ll be bringing you a mixture of worldwide updates in addition to Australian information.
You may compensate for detailed Australian updates in our earlier weblog right here.
You may also attain me on Twitter @heldavidson together with your ideas and updates.
A fast abstract of the most recent to this point:
- Pope Francis mentioned he needs to have a Covid vaccination as early as subsequent week, as he urged others to get a shot so as to shield their very own life in addition to everybody else’s. The Vatican Metropolis confirmed it’s going to shortly launch a vaccination marketing campaign.
- Twenty-one individuals in Marseille have examined optimistic for the brand new Covid variant initially present in England, with officers saying the instances had been found inside a household cluster.
- Marseille has additionally joined Strasbourg and Dijon in having its curfew moved ahead to 6pm from 8pm, operating by way of to 6am.
- One other 1,035 individuals have died inside 28 days of testing optimistic within the UK, bringing the whole to 80,868. It’s the fourth day in a row that the UK has recorded greater than 1,000 deaths.
- France has recorded 171 new Covid-related deaths in hospitals up to now 24 hours, with the variety of new, confirmed instances up by 20,177.
- Brazil recorded 62,290 further confirmed instances within the 24 hours to Saturday, and 1,171 deaths.
- In Australia, three new regionally transmitted instances have been recorded in New South Wales. Two are linked to the Berala cluster, and one to the northern seashores cluster. The three-week lockdown of 70,000 individuals in Sydney’s northern seashores area is over. Brisbane stays in lockdown, regardless of reporting no new instances for the second day in a row.
Up to date