Good day and welcome to our stay coronavirus protection with me, Helen Sullivan.
I’ll be bringing you the most recent good and unhealthy pandemic developments worldwide for the following few hours.
You may get in contact with me on Twitter @helenrsullivan or through e mail: firstname.lastname@example.org – information, feedback, questions all welcome.
Two mass vaccination places opened in New York Metropolis on Sunday.
The mass websites had been open for a part of the day on Sunday earlier than they begin working around the clock, seven days per week on Monday as a part of New York Metropolis Mayor Invoice de Blasio’s push to arrange 250 vaccination places to fulfill the bold aim of inoculating 1 million New Yorkers by the tip of the month.
Three different smaller websites additionally opened on Sunday.
In the meantime the worldwide coronavirus case whole has come one other unhappy milestone nearer to a staggering 100m, with the overall passing 90m on Sunday, in line with Johns Hopkins College researchers. The demise toll stands at 1,932,266.
Listed here are the opposite key current developments:
- US Home lawmakers might have been uncovered to somebody testing optimistic for Covid-19 through the Capitol siege by a violent mob loyal to Donald Trump. The Capitol’s attending doctor notified all lawmakers Sunday of the virus publicity and urged them to be examined.
- A brand new coronavirus variant of coronavirus has been detected in 4 travellers from Brazil’s Amazonas state, Japan’s well being ministry has stated, within the newest recorded occasion of the virus evolving.
- Seven individuals in Marseilles, southern France, have examined optimistic for the brand new, extra infectious variant of Covid-19 first present in Britain, native authorities have introduced.
- Russia has detected its first case of the extra infectious coronavirus variant present in England, in a Russian who returned from Britain and examined optimistic late final month.
- Northern Eire’s well being minister stated Covid-19 was putting the healthcare system beneath stress “like by no means earlier than,” as one hospital appealed on social media for the speedy assist of all off-duty healthworkers close by.
- One in 5 individuals in England might have had coronavirus, new modelling suggests, equal to 12.4 million individuals, rising to virtually one in two in some areas.