Good day and welcome to right this moment’s reside protection of the coronavirus pandemic with me, Helen Sullivan.
I’ll be bringing you the newest developments as they occur for the subsequent few hours. I will even be posting some enjoyable tales (headless slugs; are daddy lengthy legs toxic) to present everybody a much-needed break.
So relaxation assured you’ll be knowledgeable and entertained.
Yow will discover me on Twitter @helenrsullivan should you really feel I’m not assembly my obligations as outlined.
Onto the information of the day.
The Covid vaccine from Pfizer Inc and BioNTech SE was capable of neutralise a brand new variant of the coronavirus spreading quickly in Brazil, in keeping with a laboratory research revealed within the New England Journal of Drugs on Monday.
And main US aviation, journey and aerospace teams on Monday joined airline unions in urging the Biden administration to assist set up non permanent Covid well being credentials to spice up journey, which has been hard-hit by the coronavirus pandemic.
Different key latest developments embody:
- The reopening of colleges in England will have an effect on an infection charges that might have an effect on the roadmap for lifting restrictions, prime minister Boris Johnson has warned, regardless of the variety of new circumstances recorded within the UK having fallen to its lowest complete since late September.
- Totally-vaccinated People can collect with different vaccinated individuals indoors with out carrying a masks or social distancing.
- The pandemic has had an “extraordinarily unfair” influence on the earnings and financial alternatives of ladies, US treasury secretary Janet Yellen mentioned on Monday.
- Most Dutch coronavirus restrictions should stay in place for now, prime minister Mark Rutte mentioned on Monday, with the night curfew being prolonged till 31 March and overseas journey suggested in opposition to till mid April.
- Italy’s coronavirus demise toll eclipsed 100,000 on Monday, as prime minister Mario Draghi reiterated his pledge to hurry up the vaccination programme.
- Italy accepted the AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine for individuals aged over 65 on Monday, after the Italian authorities had initially blocked the use for over-65s over doubts relating to the vaccine’s efficacy in that age teams and an absence of information.
- Preliminary information from a research in Brazil signifies that the Covid-19 vaccine developed by China’s Sinovac Biotech Ltd is efficient in opposition to the P1 variant of the virus first found in Brazil.
- The EU’s government criticised Belgium on Monday for extending its blanket ban on non-essential journey to and from the nation regardless of the European fee asking it to ease restrictions on motion.
- The US federal authorities ought to be capable to launch the supply of $1,400 checks to round 160m American households nearly instantly as soon as Congress finalises the brand new coronavirus help invoice and president Joe Biden indicators it.
- Excessive faculties in New York Metropolis will welcome college students again to the classroom for in-person instruction on 22 March, mayor Invoice de Blasio mentioned on Monday.