Goal and Strategies
Inhabitants-based surveillance is the gathering, evaluation, and interpretation of information on a inhabitants in a specified space.
COVID-NET is a population-based surveillance system.
Coronavirus Illness 2019 (COVID-19)-Related Hospitalization Surveillance Community (COVID-NET) is a population-based surveillance system that collects information on laboratory-confirmed COVID-19-associated hospitalizations amongst youngsters and adults by way of a community of over 250 acute-care hospitals in 14 states.
Why COVID-NET Information Is Vital
COVID-NET is CDC’s supply for essential information on hospitalization charges related to COVID-19. Hospitalization charges are up to date weekly. COVID-NET additionally gives essential scientific data on COVID-19-associated hospitalizations, together with age group, intercourse, race/ethnicity and underlying well being situations.
COVID-NET Information Assortment, Timeliness and Interpretation
Instances are recognized in COVID-NET in the event that they check optimistic for SARS-COV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19 illness) by way of a check ordered by a well being care skilled and are hospitalized inside 14 days of the optimistic check. Scientific information are collected utilizing a standardized case reporting type by educated surveillance officers, so the information are collected in a standardized and uniform method.
COVID-NET is predicted to gather the next information for every case:
- surveillance website
- date of hospital admission
- proof of optimistic SARS-CoV-2 check
- demographic data (e.g., race, ethnicity)
- scientific (medical) historical past (underlying well being situations)
- scientific course (development of the sickness reminiscent of admission to an intensive care unit)
- medical interventions (medical take care of the sickness reminiscent of want for mechanical air flow)
- outcomes (e.g., launched from the hospital, dying)
How COVID-NET Hospitalization Information Is Totally different from Hospitalizations Reported in Nationwide and State Case Counts
COVID-NET differs from hospitalizations reported in nationwide and state case counts in two methods. First, state and nationwide COVID-19 case reporting are primarily based on all individuals who check optimistic for COVID-19 in america. COVID-NET is proscribed to COVID-19-associated hospitalizations captured within the COVID-NET surveillance space. Second, COVID-NET experiences charges and never simply counts. These charges present how many individuals are hospitalized with COVID-19 within the surveillance space, in comparison with the complete variety of individuals residing in that space.
How COVID-NET Calculates Hospitalization Charges
Hospitalization charges are calculated by the variety of residents of an outlined space who’re hospitalized with a optimistic SARS-CoV-2 laboratory check divided by the whole inhabitants inside that outlined space.
COVID-NET includes 99 counties within the 14 states taking part within the Rising Infections Program (EIP) and the Influenza Hospitalization Surveillance Venture (IHSP). Collaborating states embrace: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, and Utah.
COVID-NET covers roughly 10 % of the U.S. inhabitants. The counties coated are positioned in all 10 Well being and Human Companies (HHS) areasexterior icon. The designated COVID-NET surveillance space is usually much like the U.S. inhabitants by demographics; nevertheless, the data won’t be generalizable to the complete nation.
Accessing COVID-NET Information
COVID-19-associated hospitalization charges are reported to CDC on a weekly foundation. COVID-NET information, together with hospitalization charges for various age teams and information on affected person traits, can be found on COVIDView
COVID-NET hospitalization information are preliminary and will change as extra information is acquired. Particularly, case counts and charges for current hospital admissions are topic to lag. As information are acquired every week, prior case counts and charges are up to date accordingly.
- Acosta AM, Mathis AL, Budnitz DS, et. Al. COVID-19 investigational therapies in use amongst hospitalized sufferers recognized by way of the U.S. Coronavirus Illness 2019 -Related Hospitalization Surveillance Community, March 1–June 30, 2020.exterior icon Open Discussion board Infectious Illness. Revealed on-line November 9, 2020.
- Kambhampati AK, O’Halloran AC, Whitaker M, et al. COVID-19–Related Hospitalizations Amongst Well being Care Personnel — COVID-NET, 13 States, March 1–Could 31, 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2020;69:1576–1583.
- Ko JY, Danielson ML, City M, et al. Danger Elements for COVID-19-associated hospitalization: COVID-19-Related Hospitalization Surveillance Community and Behavioral Danger Issue Surveillance System.exterior icon Clin Infect Dis. Revealed on-line September 18, 2020.
- Delahoy MJ, Whitaker M, O’Halloran, et. al. Traits and Maternal and Delivery Outcomes of Hospitalized Pregnant Girls with Laboratory-Confirmed COVID-19 — COVID-NET, 13 States, March 1–August 22, 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020;69:1347–1354.
- Kim L, Whitaker M, O’Halloran A, et al. Hospitalization Charges and Traits of Kids Aged <18 Years Hospitalized with Laboratory-Confirmed COVID-19 — COVID-NET, 14 States, March 1–July 25, 2020.exterior icon MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020;69:1081–1088.
- Kim L, Garg S, O’Halloran A, et al. Danger Elements for Intensive Care Unit Admission and In-hospital Mortality amongst Hospitalized Adults Recognized by way of the U.S. Coronavirus Illness 2019 (COVID-19)-Related Hospitalization Surveillance Community (COVID-NET).exterior icon Clin Infect Dis. Revealed on-line July 16, 2020.
- Garg S, Kim L, Whitaker M, et al. Hospitalization Charges and Traits of Sufferers Hospitalized with Laboratory-Confirmed Coronavirus Illness 2019 – COVID-NET, 14 States, March 1-30, 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020;69:458-464.