Educate communities on indicators, signsexterior iconexterior icon, and transmission routes of COVID-19. Reply questions raised by group members and handle myths, rumors, and misinformation circulating in the neighborhood.
Monitor myths, rumors and misinformation throughout the group and inform native surveillance officer.
Present training to fight stigma towards group members (e.g. individuals with instances of COVID-19 and their contacts; frontline or important employees reminiscent of healthcare employees, contact tracers, truck drivers). Communicate out towards detrimental behaviors and statements and encourage empathy and assist to group members who’re quarantining or isolating.
Promote COVID-19 prevention measures reminiscent of bodily distancing (>2 meters), carrying a masks, hand washing and respiratory hygiene (coughing/sneezing into elbow). Individuals ought to perceive that most individuals with COVID-19 have delicate signs or no signs in any respect, and utilizing a masks prevents individuals who don’t understand they’re sick from spreading the virus to others.
Encourage group members to hunt testing or scientific look after signs per COVID-19 or shut contact to somebody with COVID-19 per Ministry of Well being steerage.
For households or communities already supported by a CHW, display for COVID-19 signsexterior iconexterior icon as a part of routine duties. Refer any people experiencing signs, or who’ve been in shut contact with somebody with COVID-19, for testing. WHO gives steerage for prioritizing testing when diagnostic capability is restrictedexterior iconexterior icon.
Present consciousness and assist for prevention of secondary impacts of COVID-19 (e.g. violence, meals insecurity, lack of routine well being care together with childhood immunizations).
Undertake social media actions together with dispelling rumors or false data and posting factual data
Examples of supplies wanted for implementation
- Examples of supplies wanted for implementation
- Informational fliers or leaflets focused to a low-literacy viewers
- Hand washing stations with water and cleaning soap
- Alcohol-based hand rub with no less than 60% alcohol (for CHW to make use of when within the area and cleaning soap and water are usually not out there)
- Informational, instructional, or communication (IEC) supplies for COVID-19-infected people and their caregivers on secure home-based care, together with hygiene practices and when to hunt emergency medical consideration
- Misinformation/rumor monitoring monitoring information assortment instruments, as a part of routine surveillance
- Cell phone and airtime to name if an individual in the neighborhood wants well being care referral or for social media posting/dispelling rumor
Operational concerns and challenges
If CHWs sometimes talk going door to door, adapting to utilizing bullhorn/microphone could also be difficult.
CHWs can mannequin the behaviors they’re selling throughout instructional classes.
Develop a system for CHWs to refer and join individuals to COVID-19 testing and remedy amenities.
A referral system or hotline for group members to name if they’re experiencing violence/abuse or want social assist needs to be in place earlier than selling this assist.
CHWs could also be tasked with delivering take a look at outcomes for individuals they’ve referred for testing or these in the neighborhood as a part of the referral and evaluation pathway.
Operational concerns and challenges
- If CHWs sometimes talk going door to door, adapting to utilizing bullhorn/microphone could also be difficult.
- CHWs can mannequin the behaviors they’re selling throughout instructional classes.
- Develop a system for CHWs to refer and join individuals to COVID-19 testing and remedy amenities.
- A referral system or hotline for group members to name if they’re experiencing violence/abuse or want social assist needs to be in place earlier than selling this assist.
- CHWs could also be tasked with delivering take a look at outcomes for individuals they’ve referred for testing or these in the neighborhood as a part of the referral and evaluation pathway.