Viewers: These issues are supposed to be used by federal, state, and native public well being officers; leaders in occupational well being providers and an infection prevention and management applications; and different leaders in healthcare settings who’re chargeable for creating and implementing insurance policies and procedures for stopping pathogen transmission in healthcare settings.
Function: This doc affords a collection of methods or choices to optimize provides of facemasks in healthcare settings when there may be restricted provide. It doesn’t handle different features of pandemic planning; for these, healthcare services can confer with COVID-19 preparedness plans.
Surge capability refers back to the skill to handle a sudden improve in affected person quantity that will severely problem or exceed the current capability of a facility. Whereas there aren’t any generally accepted measurements or triggers to tell apart surge capability from day by day affected person care capability, surge capability is a helpful framework to strategy a decreased provide of facemasks throughout the COVID-19 response. To assist healthcare services plan and optimize using facemasks in response to COVID-19, CDC has developed a Private Protecting Gear (PPE) Burn Fee Calculator. Three normal strata have been used to explain surge capability and can be utilized to prioritize measures to preserve facemask provides alongside the continuum of care.
- Standard capability: measures consisting of engineering, administrative, and private protecting gear (PPE) controls that ought to already be carried out usually an infection prevention and management plans in healthcare settings.
- Contingency capability: measures that could be used briefly during times of anticipated facemask shortages. Contingency capability methods ought to solely be carried out after contemplating and implementing standard capability methods. Whereas present provide might meet the power’s present or anticipated utilization charge, there could also be uncertainty if future provide will probably be sufficient and, due to this fact, contingency capability methods could also be wanted.
- Disaster capability: methods that aren’t commensurate with U.S. requirements of care however might must be thought of during times of identified facemask shortages. Disaster capability methods ought to solely be carried out after contemplating and implementing standard and contingency capability methods. Amenities can take into account disaster capability methods when the provision isn’t capable of meet the power’s present or anticipated utilization charge.
CDC’s optimization methods for facemask provide provide a continuum of choices to be used when facemask provides are confused, working low, or exhausted. Contingency after which disaster capability measures increase standard capability measures and are supposed to be thought of and carried out sequentially. As soon as facemask availability returns to regular, healthcare services ought to promptly resume commonplace practices.
Choices to implement contingency and disaster methods are based mostly upon these assumptions:
- Amenities perceive their facemask stock and provide chain
- Amenities perceive their facemask utilization charge
- Amenities are in communication with native healthcare coalitions, federal, state, and native public well being companions (e.g., public well being emergency preparedness and response employees) to determine further provides
- Amenities have already carried out different engineering and administrative management measures together with:
- Use bodily boundaries and different engineering controls
- Restrict variety of sufferers going to hospital or outpatient settings
- Use telemedicine at any time when attainable
- Exclude all HCP in a roundabout way concerned in affected person care
- Restrict face-to-face HCP encounters with sufferers
- Restrict guests to the power to these important for the affected person’s bodily or emotional well-being and care (e.g., care accomplice, guardian).
- Cohort sufferers and/or HCP
- Amenities have offered HCP with required training and coaching, together with having them display competency with donningexterior icon and doffing, with any PPE ensemble that’s used to carry out job tasks, akin to provision of affected person care
As soon as availability of facemasks returns to regular, healthcare services ought to promptly resume standard practices. Figuring out the suitable time to return to traditional methods may be difficult. Concerns affecting this choice embrace:
- The anticipated variety of sufferers for whom a facemask ought to be worn by HCP offering their care
- The variety of days’ provide of facemasks at the moment remaining on the facility
- Whether or not or not the power is receiving common resupply with its full allotment
Use facemasks in accordance with product labeling and native, state, and federal necessities.
In healthcare settings, facemasks are utilized by HCP for two normal functions:
- As PPE to guard their nostril and mouth from publicity to splashes, sprays, splatter, and respiratory secretions (e.g., for sufferers on Droplet Precautions). When used for this objective, facemasks ought to be eliminated and discarded after every affected person encounter.
- When advisable for supply management whereas they’re within the healthcare facility, to cowl one’s mouth and nostril to stop unfold of respiratory secretions when they’re speaking, sneezing, or coughing. When used for this objective, facemasks could also be used till they turn out to be dirty, broken, or onerous to breathe by means of. They need to be instantly discarded after elimination.
FDA-cleared surgical masks are designed to guard towards splashes and sprays and are prioritized to be used when such exposures are anticipated, together with surgical procedures. Facemasks that aren’t regulated by FDA, akin to some process masks, that are usually used for isolation functions, might not present safety towards splashes and sprays.
Selectively cancel elective and non-urgent procedures and appointments for which a facemask is usually utilized by HCP as PPE.
Take away facemasks from facility entrances and different public areas.
Healthcare services can take into account eradicating all facemasks from public areas (e.g., entrances, close to elevators) and as an alternative maintain them in a safe and monitored website the place they’re distributed at check-in solely to sufferers who do not need their very own fabric masks or facemask. That is particularly vital in high-traffic areas like emergency departments.
Implement prolonged use of facemasks as PPE.
Prolonged use of facemasks is the follow of HCP carrying the identical facemask as PPE (e.g., for sufferers on Droplet Precautions) throughout encounters with a number of completely different sufferers, with out eradicating the facemask between encounters.
- The facemask ought to be discarded at any time when the facemask is eliminated, and all the time on the finish of every workday.
- The facemask also needs to be eliminated and discarded if dirty, broken, or onerous to breathe by means of.
- HCP should take care to not contact their facemask. In the event that they contact or alter their facemask, they have to instantly carry out hand hygiene.
- HCP ought to go away the affected person care space if they should take away the facemask.
Limit facemasks to be used solely by HCP when wanted as PPE (e.g., encounters with sufferers on Droplet Precautions).
HCP who solely require supply management might use a fabric masks. As a substitute of offering a facemask to sufferers not already carrying their very own fabric masks for supply management, have them use tissues or different boundaries to cowl their mouth and nostril
Cancel elective and non-urgent procedures and appointments for which a facemask is usually utilized by HCP as PPE.
Use facemasks past the manufacturer-designated shelf life throughout affected person care actions.
If there isn’t a date accessible on the facemask label or packaging, services ought to contact the producer. The person ought to visually examine the product prior to make use of and, if there are considerations (akin to degraded supplies or seen tears), discard the product.
Implement restricted re-use of facemasks with prolonged use.
Pairing restricted re-use of facemasks with prolonged use is the follow of utilizing the identical facemask by one HCP for a number of affected person encounters however eradicating it after a number of encounters and redonning it for additional affected person encounters. As it’s unknown what the potential contribution of contact transmission is for SARS-CoV-2, care ought to be taken to make sure that HCP don’t contact outer surfaces of the masks throughout care, and that masks elimination and alternative be achieved in a cautious and deliberate method.
- Presently, there may be not identified a most variety of makes use of (donnings) the identical facemask could possibly be re-used.
- The facemask ought to be eliminated and discarded if dirty, broken, or onerous to breathe by means of.
- Not all facemasks may be re-used.
- Facemasks that fasten to the supplier through ties might not be capable of be undone with out tearing and ought to be thought of just for prolonged use, moderately than re-use.
- Facemasks with elastic ear hooks could also be extra appropriate for re-use.
- HCP ought to go away affected person care space if they should take away the facemask. Facemasks ought to be rigorously folded in order that the outer floor is held inward and towards itself to cut back contact with the outer floor throughout storage. The folded masks may be saved between makes use of in a clear sealable paper bag or breathable container.
Prioritize facemasks for chosen actions akin to:
- For provision of important surgical procedures and procedures
- Throughout care actions the place splashes and sprays are anticipated
- Throughout unavoidable actions the place extended face-to-face or shut contact with a probably infectious affected person for whom facemask use is advisable
- If respirators are not accessible, throughout the care of sufferers with SARS-CoV-2 an infection, different infections, or conditions for which a respirator is advisable (e.g., throughout aerosol producing procedures when there may be reasonable to substantial group transmission of SARS-CoV-2)
When No Facemasks Are Accessible, Choices Embody
Exclude HCP at elevated danger for extreme sickness from SARS-CoV-2 an infection from contact with sufferers with suspected or confirmed SARS-CoV-2 an infection.
Throughout extreme useful resource limitations, when respirators and facemasks are usually not accessible, take into account excluding HCP who could also be at elevated danger for extreme sickness from SARS-CoV-2 an infection, akin to these of older age, these with power medical situations, or those that could also be pregnant, from caring for sufferers with confirmed or suspected SARS-CoV-2 an infection.
Use a face protect that covers the whole entrance (that extends to the chin or under) and sides of the face with no facemask.
HCP use of material masks:
In settings the place neither respirators nor facemasks can be found, HCP may use fabric masks as a final resort for care of sufferers with suspected or confirmed prognosis for which facemask or respirator use is generally advisable. Nevertheless, fabric masks are usually not thought of PPE, since their functionality to guard HCP is unknown. Warning ought to be exercised when contemplating this selection. Fabric masks ought to ideally be utilized in mixture with a face protect that covers the whole entrance (that extends to the chin or under) and sides of the face.