Coronavirus illness 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory sickness attributable to a virus referred to as SARS-CoV-2. Signs usually embrace cough, shortness of breath, fever, chills, muscle ache, sore throat, or new lack of style or odor. Our understanding of how the virus spreads is evolving as we be taught extra about it, so test the CDC web site for the newest data. The virus is believed to unfold primarily from person-to-person:
Current research point out that the virus could be unfold by people who find themselves not exhibiting signs. It might be potential that an individual can get COVID-19 by touching a floor or object that has the virus on it after which touching their very own mouth, nostril, or probably their eyes. This isn’t considered the principle manner the virus spreads, however we’re nonetheless studying extra about this virus. Older adults and other people of any age who’ve critical underlying medical circumstances could also be at greater threat for extra critical issues from COVID-19.
As a rideshare, taxi, limo, or different driver-for-hire, how can I defend myself and others?
As a driver-for-hire, potential sources of publicity embrace having shut contact with passengers with COVID-19, or touching surfaces touched or dealt with by an individual with COVID-19.
Keep house if you’re sick
- In the event you develop a fever, or signs equivalent to a cough or issue respiratory, name your healthcare supplier for medical recommendation and steering earlier than visiting their workplace.
- You shouldn’t return to work till the standards to discontinue house isolation are met, after speaking along with your physician or nurse.
Put on a material face masking
- CDC recommends sporting material face coverings in public settings the place different social distancing measures are troublesome to take care of, particularly in areas the place there could also be numerous contaminated folks.
- Fabric face coverings might stop individuals who don’t know they’ve the virus from transmitting it to others.
- These face coverings should not surgical masks or respirators and should not acceptable substitutes for them in workplaces the place masks or respirators are really useful or required.
- Keep away from offering pooled rides or choosing up a number of passengers who wouldn’t in any other case be using collectively on the identical route.
- Inform the passenger to take a seat within the again seat; don’t let passengers sit within the entrance seat.
- Keep away from shut contact with passengers, when potential.
- Maintain a distance of not less than 6 toes from passengers when you find yourself exterior the automobile.
- Ask that passengers sit six toes from the driving force when transporting passengers in bigger automobiles equivalent to vans and buses.
- Take into account asking passengers to deal with their very own private luggage and belongings throughout pick-up and drop-off.
- In the event you work for a corporation that provides a big fleet of automobiles, ask firm administration for a automotive/taxi (when relevant) with a partition between driver and passengers, if accessible.
- Keep away from utilizing the recirculated air choice for the automotive’s air flow throughout passenger transport; use the automotive’s vents to herald contemporary exterior air and/or decrease the automobile home windows.
- Keep away from providing gadgets equivalent to water bottles or magazines usually supplied without cost to passengers.
- Keep away from contact with surfaces steadily touched by passengers or different drivers, equivalent to door body/handles, home windows, seatbelt buckles, steering wheel, gearshift, signaling levers, and different automobile components earlier than cleansing and disinfection.
Clear and disinfect
- Get and carry cleansing and disinfectant spray or disposable wipes and disposal trash luggage with you in your automobile.
- Observe the instructions on the cleansing product’s label.
- If surfaces are visibly soiled, they need to be cleaned with detergent or cleaning soap and water previous to disinfection.
- At a minimal, clear and disinfect steadily touched surfaces within the automobile initially and finish of every shift, and between transporting passengers who’re sick.
- Acceptable disinfectants for onerous non-porous surfaces embrace:
Follow on a regular basis preventive actions
- Keep away from touching your eyes, nostril, or mouth.
- Correct hand hygiene is a crucial an infection management measure. Take note the place you’ll be able to entry and use services with cleaning soap and water throughout your shift. Wash your palms repeatedly with cleaning soap and water for not less than 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing not less than 60% alcohol.
- Key instances to scrub palms embrace:
- Earlier than, throughout, and after getting ready meals
- Earlier than consuming meals
- Earlier than and after utilizing the bathroom
- After blowing your nostril, coughing, or sneezing
- Extra instances on the job to scrub palms embrace:
- Earlier than and after work shifts
- Earlier than and after work breaks
- After dealing with passengers’ private belongings, if unavoidable
- Between rides and after dealing with/exchanging cash
- After placing on, touching, or eradicating material face coverings
- Earlier than sporting and after eradicating cold-weather gloves
- Earlier than and after pumping fuel
- Carry tissues in your automobile to make use of while you cough, sneeze, or contact your face. Throw used tissues within the trash.
- Ask passengers to put on a material face masking and canopy their mouth and nostril with tissues in the event that they cough or sneeze. Ask the passenger to get rid of the tissues after exiting the automobile.
- Instantly report any passengers deliberately spreading their germs in automotive inside to administration, your app rideshare firm, and/or the authorities, as acceptable.
- In the event you really feel uncomfortable with offering transport to a visibly sick passenger for security causes, you’ll be able to select to refuse transport. Nonetheless, discrimination in opposition to passengers on the idea of race, nationwide origin, or different causes as described in your organization’s insurance policies will not be allowed.
What steps ought to my rideshare service or taxi/limo transportation firm take?
The rideshare companies or taxi/limo transportation corporations for whom you’re a contract driver ought to develop and share a set of COVID-19 response measures to tell and assist defend drivers and passengers. They need to:
- Actively encourage sick drivers to remain house.
- Present workers with the place to seek out correct details about COVID-19, its signs, and the way it spreads.
- Encourage the usage of and supply help in buying hand sanitizer and disposable wipes and cleansing merchandise in order that generally touched automobile surfaces could be wiped down by drivers.
- Develop insurance policies and know-how choices that permit and prioritize contactless transactions that restrict or eradicate shut contact and the sharing of things equivalent to pens and digital signature pads between drivers and passengers.
The place can I get extra data?
Keep knowledgeable. Evaluate well being and security measures taken by your rideshare or transportation firm about COVID-19. See these sources for extra data on employee exposures to COVID-19: