Coronavirus illness 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory sickness brought on by a virus referred to as SARS-CoV-2. Signs typically embrace cough, shortness of breath, fever, chills, muscle ache, sore throat, or new lack of style or scent. Our understanding of how the virus spreads is evolving as we study extra about it, so verify the CDC web site for the newest info. The virus is assumed to unfold primarily from person-to-person:
Current research point out that the virus will be unfold by people who find themselves not displaying signs. It might be attainable that an individual can get COVID-19 by touching a floor or object that has the virus on it after which touching their very own mouth, nostril, or presumably their eyes. This isn’t considered the principle approach the virus spreads, however we’re nonetheless studying extra about this virus. Older adults and other people of any age who’ve critical underlying medical situations could also be at increased threat for extra critical problems from COVID-19.
As a mail and parcel supply driver (corresponding to for Amazon, DHS, FedEx, Purolater, UPS, USPS), how can I defend myself and others?
As a mail and parcel supply driver, potential sources of publicity embrace having shut contact with co-workers or supply recipients, or if you contact surfaces touched or dealt with by an individual who has COVID-19.
Keep house if you’re sick
- In the event you develop a fever or signs, corresponding to cough or issue respiration, name your healthcare supplier for medical recommendation earlier than visiting their workplace.
- You shouldn’t return to work till the standards to discontinue house isolation are met, after speaking together with your physician.
Put on a material face overlaying
- CDC recommends sporting material face coverings in public settings the place different social distancing measures are onerous to do, particularly in areas which have excessive charges of COVID an infection.
- Fabric face coverings might assist forestall individuals who don’t know they’ve the virus from spreading it to others.
- These face coverings should not surgical masks or respirators and should not applicable substitutes for them in workplaces the place masks or respirators are advisable or required.
- Observe contactless deliveries every time you possibly can. Contactless deliveries can help you go away a supply at a doorstep, transfer again to a distance larger than 6 toes away whereas verifying receipt of the supply with the recipient (if required), and attempt to do every part electronically every time you possibly can (e.g., in an app or over a telephone). This eliminates the necessity for shut contact between you and supply recipient.
- Preserve a distance 6 toes or larger from others you would possibly meet or want to talk to whereas making your deliveries.
- Restrict contact with incessantly touched surfaces throughout deliveries, corresponding to doorbells or door handles. Use a foot, shoulder, elbow, hip, or forearm when opening doorways, as an alternative of palms, if attainable.
- Keep away from sharing scanners, pens, or different instruments with prospects.
- If you’re sporting machine-washable work gloves usually worn for the job all through your shift, don’t contact your face with gloved palms. Take away them and wash palms earlier than consuming. On the finish of the work shift, take away the gloves, retailer them for laundry, and wash your palms. When doing laundry, wash gloves utilizing the warmest applicable water setting and dry them utterly.
Clear and Disinfect
- If surfaces are visibly soiled, they need to be cleaned with detergent or cleaning soap and water previous to disinfection.
- Carry cleansing and disinfectant disposable wipes, if out there, and a trash bag with you in your car. Comply with the instructions on the cleansing product’s label.
- Clear and disinfect incessantly touched surfaces of the supply car (significantly whether it is shared) firstly and finish of the shift. These embrace the steering wheel, gearshift, signaling levers, and door handles.
- Wipe down pens, clipboards, and digital signature pads after every use with the general public if shared when performing a supply.
- Applicable disinfectants for onerous non-porous surfaces embrace:
Observe On a regular basis Preventive Actions
- Keep away from touching your eyes, nostril, or mouth.
- Correct hand hygiene is a crucial an infection management measure. Be mindful the place you possibly can entry and use amenities with cleaning soap and water throughout your shift. Wash your palms usually with cleaning soap and water for at the least 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing at the least 60% alcohol.
- Key occasions to wash palms embrace:
- Earlier than, throughout, and after getting ready meals
- Earlier than consuming meals
- After utilizing the bathroom
- After blowing your nostril, coughing, or sneezing
- Further occasions on the job to wash palms embrace:
- Earlier than and after work shifts
- Earlier than and after work breaks
- After placing on, touching, or eradicating material face coverings
- Earlier than and after making deliveries, together with after selecting up from drop-boxes and buyer pickups
- After touching incessantly touched surfaces, corresponding to doorbells or door handles
- Earlier than sporting and after eradicating cold-weather gloves
- Earlier than and after pumping fuel
- Carry tissues in your car to make use of if you cough, sneeze, or contact your face. Throw used tissues within the trash.
What steps ought to my employer take?
Mail and parcel supply employers ought to develop a COVID-19 response plan to guard workers, following CDC enterprise steering. This plan needs to be shared with you and your coworkers. Your employer ought to contemplate the next steering:
- Present info on who to contact if you happen to change into sick.
- Take steps to assist forestall the unfold of COVID-19 if an worker is sick
- Implement versatile sick go away and supportive insurance policies and practices. Take into account drafting non-punitive emergency sick go away insurance policies if sick go away is just not supplied to some or all workers.
- Actively encourage sick workers to remain house.
- Sick workers shouldn’t return to work till the standards to discontinue house isolation are met.
- If an worker is confirmed to have COVID-19, keep their confidentiality as required by the Individuals with Disabilities Act (ADA) and inform workers of their attainable publicity to COVID-19 within the office.
- Develop insurance policies and expertise choices that permit and encourage contactless deliveries corresponding to no-knock and no-signature. These choices restrict contact, present house, and keep away from the sharing of things corresponding to pens and digital signature pads between drivers and people on the supply locations.
- Designate somebody to be liable for responding to COVID-19 issues and guarantee workers know who this individual is and the way to contact them.
- Present workers with essentially the most present info from the CDC about COVID-19, the way it spreads, and threat of publicity.
- Present workers with coaching on correct hand hygiene practices and different routine an infection management precautions. This can assist scale back the unfold of many ailments, together with COVID-19.
- Present workers the place they’ll entry cleaning soap, clear operating water, and drying supplies, and supply alcohol-based hand sanitizers containing at the least 60% alcohol; modify supply schedules to construct in time for frequent hand washing.
- Present disposable disinfecting wipes or appropriate options in order that generally touched surfaces will be wiped down by workers. Present workers coaching on producer’s instructions to be used.
- Present tissues and no-touch trash choices for the supply truck.
- Place posters that encourage staying house when sick, cough and sneeze etiquette, and good hand hygiene on the entrance to the office and in different office areas the place they’re prone to be seen.
- Attain out to native public well being officers to determine ongoing communications to facilitate entry to related info earlier than and through a neighborhood outbreak.
- The place out there, interact worker representatives and unions relating to firm COVID-19 response plans to guard workers.
- Comply with all relevant federal employee security and well being laws and public well being company pointers.
The place can I get extra info?
Keep knowledgeable. Discuss to your employer-designated contact or union consultant about your issues associated to COVID-19. See these sources for extra info on employee exposures to COVID-19: