If you happen to suppose somebody who’s incarcerated within the facility is sick with COVID-19 (see COVID-19 signs), activate your emergency plan and notify native public well being officers. Be certain that the sick particular person is carrying a clear, disposable facemaskpdf icon, and separate the sick particular person from others, ideally inside a person housing area and toilet. Present them with tissues for once they cough or sneeze, and a lined trash receptacle when doable.
Workers evaluating and offering take care of confirmed or suspected COVID-19 circumstances ought to observe the CDC Interim Medical Steering for Administration of Sufferers with Confirmed Coronavirus Illness (COVID-19) and monitor the steering web site often for updates to those suggestions. Services with out on-site healthcare employees ought to contact their state, native, tribal, and/or territorial well being division to coordinate efficient isolation and vital medical care. Guarantee solely skilled personnel carrying really useful private protecting tools (PPE) have contact with or transport people who’ve or could have COVID-19.
People who find themselves incarcerated and have COVID-19 ought to be positioned below medical isolation in a separate room, ideally with stable partitions and a stable door that closes totally. If not out there, seek advice from the full steering doc for different choices for medical isolation. If a number of folks grow to be ailing with COVID-19:
- Make each effort to deal with every ailing particular person individually, with their very own toilet. Discuss with the full steering doc for extra choices if particular person areas aren’t out there.
- Prioritize these at excessive threat for problems of COVID-19 (older adults, folks with extreme underlying persistent medical circumstances) for particular person areas which might be out there.
To forestall additional unfold:
- Use choices for digital courtroom appearances, if doable.
- Droop group gatherings.
- Restrict non-medical transfers of individuals inside and between amenities. Be certain that anybody transferred out is screened for signs and call with a COVID-19 case earlier than leaving the power.
- Be certain that launch planning consists of screening for COVID-19 signs and call with a case. Coordinate with native public well being officers if releasing a symptomatic particular person to the group.
- Use a number of social distancing methods.
- Deal with laundry and meals objects of doable or confirmed circumstances of COVID-19 with really useful PPE.
- Droop visitation or supply non-contact visitation solely.
- Think about quarantining all new entrants for 14 days earlier than they enter the power. (Ensure that new entrants below quarantine are housed individually from different incarcerated folks already below quarantine as a result of contact with a COVID-19 case.)
- If releasing somebody to a group facility (e.g., a homeless shelter), contact the power’s employees to make sure enough time for them to arrange to proceed medical isolation, and coordinate with native public well being officers.
Present clear data to employees and people who find themselves incarcerated concerning the presence of COVID-19 circumstances inside the facility. Shut contacts of the sick particular person (who’ve been inside 6 toes of the sick particular person or had direct contact with infectious droplets, comparable to from a cough or sneeze) ought to be positioned below quarantine for at the least 14 days. Comply with CDC steering on quarantining shut contacts of individuals with COVID-19.
If separate areas for particular person quarantined individuals are not out there, seek advice from the complete steering doc for different choices. Monitor signs twice per day and transfer anybody creating signs to medical isolation immediately (after making certain they’re carrying a face masks). Quarantined folks at excessive threat for problems of COVID-19 (older adults, folks with extreme underlying persistent medical circumstances) shouldn’t be housed with different quarantined folks if in any respect doable.